Sunday, June 10, 2012

Urban beach

So this morning, despite being fairly well worn out, I headed out to find Revere Beach.

I'd done my reading and was ready for a dreadful beach.  What I got was something that I think you could say might require a developed taste.

Revere beach reminded me an awful lot of your typical farm pond, only on a huge scale.  This isn't Florida or California; the water's dark and full of seaweed.  I was there at low tide, so the whole place was a bit fishy until you got down to the tideline and the stranded seaweed was downwind.

That said, I really enjoyed myself.  Tangled in the seaweed were quite a few shells, mostly huge things, big clams and snails.  Then once in a while you'd come across some beached sea life, or a crab or something.  The water wasn't something I'd really want to dive into because of the silt, but it felt good on my feet.   Maybe it's because I like to go creeking and I'm more used to Ohio ponds and the Great Lakes than West Coast beaches, the water and profusion of flora and fauna didn't really bother me, but I can sure understand where some people would hate it.

The best part was just being able to listen to the ocean and feel the breeze off of it.   I don't know how often I'll go out there (and I suspect it's crowded despite the seaweed once the water warms up), but I do know that I want to go out there some time in the dead of winter because I've never seen the ocean in the winter time. 

And yeah, I came back with a sunburn again and a raw spot from my new flip flops.

No comments:

Post a Comment