Monday, May 14, 2012

Salt marsh

So yesterday I headed down to the Belle Isle Salt Marsh down in Boston proper (and right across from the racecourse; Suffolk has money issues, though, so I'm not sure I'll go there to bet the ponies ever).

A salt marsh is... well, a big brushy field with muddy creeks and small ponds in it. I think I was a little early in the season for it to green up, but I still saw small crabs and things in the water. I will say that it sure smelled salty enough -- made me think I was right on the ocean (it's not, it's back from the ocean maybe a half or quarter mile).

I think I spent more time on the subway than I did in the park, though. But at least the result was that I have now learned how to change trains and where you get off for the airport I also discovered the oldest subway in Boston -- well, I didn't discover it, obviously somebody else knew it was there already. It's a weird line, it splits off in all directions and the trains are only two cars long compared to the other lines. Luckily, unless you're actually going somewhere on the green line, you just have to randomly jump on a car going in the general right direction and get off at the next station -- or as I found out after the fact, you can just use the orange line, which is less weird. The Green line is also the one that's had two recent wrecks, it runs with very short distances between the "trolleys."

The plan for next weekend is to find the Harvard Arboretum. Originally from Ohio, my boss tells me that it's much like Dawes, so I'll probably be very happy to visit there.

No comments:

Post a Comment